Thursday 3 July 2014

Beep beep!

KL traffic was made to test your patience, man. During my stay in London, it was one thing that I did not miss one bit about home. I was happy with the Underground, even though it's a lot of walking, squeezing through the throngs of fellow commuters at rush hours and being squashed up against someone who may or may not have had their morning shower. But well, everything has its pros and cons. KL traffic at rush hour? Definitely a con. As much as I'd missed driving here and there, sometimes just the thought of traffic in the evenings kills me. Especially when you have to face MRR2 as soon as you exit your neighbourhood. It's crrrrazy. At times like that, I'd turn so quickly into a mengada Malaysian-Londoner, whining "I miss the tuuube" and "Hmm it's so easy to get around in London, you don't even have to worry about traffic." Even I find myself annoying when I do that.

And it's not just about the traffic, it's the drivers too. GOD. You find all sorts of perangai on the road. Everyone's so impatient and I don't understand people who honk when the traffic is on a standstill. Hello??? Who told you that honking will make cars move faster? Please don't do that, it's ridiculous and it only agitates other drivers. Everyone wants to be home after a long day at work, bro, just like you.

Then you've also got the rude drivers who make you say every swear word under the sun. I'm someone who gets riled up so easily and can take a long time to cool down. It's kind of hard when someone angers me because I try not to swear, but it's obviously the first thing you feel like doing when you're angry. I'd usually let the anger bubble over inside of me until I can't take it anymore, before I blurt out the word "BABI." That's about the furthest that I'll go (insyaAllah haha) and has only happened a handful of times before.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's not an easy task to be patient, even more so when you're on the road. I guess that's why patience is rewarded handsomely by Allah – with paradise. I hope we'll all manage to keep our anger in check in this holy month – on the road and off – and that Allah makes it easy for all of us. Hold back your tongue when you feel like swearing. Think of all the rewards you're getting for remaining patient! Don't let other people kurangkan your pahala puasa okay!

Drive safely and Ramadhan Kareem, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment