Monday 8 September 2014

Run chicken run

Just now after dinner I had one of the occasional story-telling sessions with my mum, brother and sister. While we took turns telling stories, I suddenly remembered the first time that I chased after chickens in the kampung. I don't remember how old I was, but I was definitely still in primary school. It was raya season and my family & I went to visit my grandaunt's house in Semenyih which had a big backyard. She had chickens running around freely there which made me excited – city girl masuk kampung, right.

I remember feeding the chickens some bread with my sister. There were a rooster, a hen, and a handful of chicks. (Before that, let me tell you that I was wearing a three-quarter denim skirt, with a slight slit at the back). So at one point, I felt so jakun and I started chasing the chickens. They were so shocked that they dispersed in a panic – one chick went straight while the hen and the other chicks ran in another direction. I thought, "Okay, whatever," and continued chasing the lonely little chick until suddenly... I heard a very loud cluck behind me.

I turned my head around and yeap, sure enough, I saw the hen running after me! That was one very angry ayam. I was so scared and mind you, my skirt didn't give much room for big steps. I must have looked like an idiot, trying to run (away from a chicken!!) in a tight skirt. After a while I wondered why the hen was still chasing after me until I realised that in my haste to get away from the flapping mother hen, I was still unintentionally chasing the little chick.

So I quickly steered away and the hen stopped chasing me and went straight to her chick. Thank God. I could feel the hen glaring at me, probably thinking "Nobody messes with my chick."

After that incident I never tried chasing a little chick again. Konon nak kejar ayam, tapi in the end aku yang kena kejar dengan ayam.

No comments:

Post a Comment