Sunday 13 August 2017

Always trying

*retrieves blog from top shelf*

*tiup habuk*

Hi blog, it's been a very very long time.

I don't know what's my excuse, really. Once in a while I do think about writing something on the blog but for some reason I always feel like it's nothing too interesting to share. Can't believe it's been more than a year since my last post. Yikes. I've done a looot of growing up since then – maybe even a bit too much than I'd liked. But ready or not, like it or not, life happens. And I just have to bulldoze my way through it. 

Anyway, just a quick fill-in since my last entry last year......



I graduated from university with a degree in Psychology. I was unemployed for 3 months and a bit, just because. But of course I started getting the "When are you going to look for a job?" questions from my parents hahaha so I applied for some (all different things because I was unsure where to go and what I wanted to spend my days doing) and went to a few job interviews without knowing exactly what to expect.

[I digress: I've always envied people who know exactly what they want to do in life. While I'm not entirely clueless (I know what I don't want to do, so there's a start... right?), I don't have that ONE thing that I had my sights on since school. So when I finally completed my formal education, I was faced with the frightening question that a lot of us know too well: What next? It was very daunting to think that I finally have to decide what I want to do with my life, so if you're in that situation right now, remember that you're not the only one who feels this way. Not everyone is lucky enough to have found their calling earlier in their life. Just remember that as long as you're trying, you'll be fine. InsyaAllah.]

I went to a few interviews and was rejected. Then I got my first job offer, but turned it down....


.... to accept an offer at my dream job.

It was a bit hush hush at first because I was so scared that I wouldn't get it, and I didn't want to get my hopes up too much.

Some people have asked me how I got hired and what the recruitment process was like. For those of you wondering, I went to 2 interviews. The first one was fairly standard; Min Jee, my current boss, asked me about the basics – about myself, my background, education, what skills I might have from my past experience in dealing with people, yada yada yada.

After that, she sent me a task via email. This was the hard part, to be honest. There were a few questions (I don't exactly remember what they were) and one of it was to write a press release. I had no idea what, how, and why, so I Googled it and read a few examples. I Facetimed my best friend Raihan while completing the task because I was so anxious so she was just accompanying me through it. I stayed up till the wee hours to perfect my answers. Effort!! I was very nervous about the whole thing because I really wanted to do well and get the job. A few days later (was it? I don't even remember) I got a call from Min Jee asking to come in for a second interview, but this time I had to prepare a presentation about dUCk. "Anything about dUCk, it doesn't matter. What is dUCk to you? It can be in slides, or a mood board. It's up to you."

Which brought me to the question: What on earth is a mood board?!? I was quite hopeless la really. With a bit of guidance from Najwa, I came up with this:


I even put a picture of myself in it because they asked me what I pictured dUCk could be in the future and it was my way of telling that I should be a part of it. Hahahaha #confident. (Thank God I was hired.) If you couldn't spot me in the mood board, here, let me help:


But yeah, that's basically it. After that my life has mostly been about work. Learning about 1000 new things, figuring things out along the way, trying to get my bearings on this thing called work. Trying to juggle work and personal life, trying to separate frustrations/exhaustion at the workplace from the home. Trying to do things right and trying to improve on whatever we get told off about.

It's really just one big game of Trying. If anyone ever thinks that I've got my stuff together, it's only because I never show when I break down and cry from work (yes, it's happened a few times!), or when things go awry.

Nevertheless, all in all I do love my job. Even now, 10 months later, sometimes I still find myself taking it all in and trying to digest the fact that I'm working with a brand that I love. How lucky am I?

So much has happened in the span of a year, especially work-wise, but for some reason I just didn't think anything would be interesting enough to share. I'd received a few messages from strangers asking me when I would update my blog which surprised me because I didn't think anyone would care if I abandoned this space, haha. I'd be lying if I said I don't miss writing at all. Sometimes it's so tempting to rant here, particularly when Instagram seems too public and 140 characters on Twitter isn't enough.

Perhaps it would be great to come back to blogging. Can't promise that I'll blog regularly, but well.... I'll try.

No comments:

Post a Comment